Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, January 21, 2007

final meeting of the fin and stab

Today's progress - Finished all the coppering on the fin! Now it was time to fit the fin to the stabilizer.



Before that could happen, four wires had to be made. Same method as before.



I left the front and rear attach fittings undrilled. The rear fittings attach to the tailpost with spoon bolts and I wanted to wait to make sure everything lined up properly before drilling any holes. For today, c-clamps sufficed.



Here's the top of the fin. I deviated a bit from original (forgive me, but it's an improvement). The rudder cable rubbed against this wire at full deflection. So, I moved the wire higher and kept the hinge alone. I think I covered this in a previous post.





Here's the stab attach point with my handy c-clamp.






Also gave the rudder a second coat of varnish. Ready for copper tomorow.

Till then

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home