Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Rudder

Had a good four hours of shop time today. Made the rudder post brackets from .025 sheet steel. Once they were finished, they were brazed into place. I learned something about brazing today. You don't need a ton of rod to do the job. If you heat the bracket rather well, the heat will efficiently pull the molten metal underneath and you don't need to do much more. I found that I was worried about adhesion and kept adding rod. All it did was give me more material to grind away!



Here's the famed curved bracket. I made it the same way as all the others - in two pieces. You can see the hammer marks fron shaping the metal to the curve. The two pieces were brazed to the trailing edge and the gap filled in with rod material. Everything was then ground and sanded smooth.



I had a chance to weld three of the four rudder hinges as well. Here you can see one of the finished hinges as well as two of the brackets.



Alas, here's the rudder as of today. I have one more hinge to weld and three more little brackets.





Till then,

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home