I decided to take a break from the elevator construction to build something really usefull for the future. There are tons of piano wire in a Jenny and I read about a bending fixture in an old aviation mechanics handbook.
Needed was a 2 X 1 in. block of aluminium and a couple of AN bolts.
Here's Nathan Hammond drilling the the first hole. They are spaced about 5/32nds apart from each other. Nathan and his father have been extremely helpfull during this restoration, taking time to answer tons questions and offering help in many ways.
After the holes have been drilled, they were tapped to size. I made two sets of jigs - one with AN4 bolts (1/4 in) and one with AN5 (5/16 in) bolts. I wasn't sure which one would work best with the hard wire.
After the bolts were inserted, the heads were cut off.
Ah, time for the wire. I purchased the piano wire from MSC in small spools. If you ever had a chance to play with piano wire you'll understand - it's rather "mean" to work with! Bending it has been fun to say the least.
First, a "U" is bent in the wire.
Then, the wire is flipped over and bent outwards.
This forms the loop to hold a shackle or turnbuckle. All you have to do now is push the ferrule up, cut off the end and soak with solder. The ferrule issue will be addressed later. You have to get a spring company to make them and we are in the process of doing so.
It was good to take a break from the elevator. You'll see more about this when the tail wires need to be made in the future. Perhaps there is a better way to make wires, but for now, this works for me.